Followers

Friday 2 December 2016

Jeffree Star Holiday Collection - Review



Jeffree Star's second holiday collection launched on Black Friday. Seven liquid lipsticks in limited edition red packaging, with two new Skin Frost highlighters launching at the same time. Both Skin Frosts are pink - Regina George, a hot pink and Princess Cut, a baby pink.
The lipstick shades are Deceased, described on his website as a "mauve greige", Checkmate, a bright orange-red, Chrysanthemum, a pink based nude with gold sparkle, Sagittarius, a nude mauve, Crocodile Tears, a deep forest green, Designer Blood, a deep red with gold shimmer and Pumpkin Pie, a beautiful autumnal orange.
Each liquid lipstick retails for $18, or the bundle of all seven is $99.99. The Skin Frosts Retail at $29 each.


The holiday collection is available from the Jeffree Star Cosmetics website and Beautylish. Beauty Bay will be stocking this collection in the future, but as yet there is no confirmed date.

I prefer to buy from Beautylish where possible, as they calculate customs charges for you and you pay on ordering which speeds up the delivery process and you avoid that £8 Royal Mail handling fee which I always begrudge paying! Beautylish also have the most adorable packaging, I love how everything comes wrapped in brown paper with the black and white string, it's so sweet.




Now, on to the lipsticks (I may review the Skin Frosts at a later date).

Here are the arm swatches
Top to bottom; Designer Blood, Crocodile Tears, Chrysanthemum, Sagittarius, Pumpkin Pie, Checkmate, Deceased

They swatch beautifully, and I had no problems with application on my lips either. I had seen someone comment online that Chrysanthemum was patchy, but I did not experience that. For a light colour, it applied really nicely and I had no issues with patchy or streaky application. This is my favourite colour out of the collection.

Apologies, I'm stuck using an iPhone camera for now so my images are pretty dreadful! 



I wasn't expecting Chrysanthemum to last very long on my lips at all due to the pale colour, but I was very pleasantly surprised! It dried down completely and lasted for the 4 hours I wore it. Not a full day's wear but I did eat while I had this on and it didn't budge. This shade also smells AMAZING! Only two of the collection appear to be scented, Chrysanthemum and Sagittarius. Jeffree described it as "cotton candy scented" and while I personally don't get cotton candy from the scent, it is a lovely sweet smell.

Pumpkin Pie was a surprise hit for me. I was not expecting to like this shade. Autumnal colours and warm shades are not something I tend to reach for, but I fell in love with this as soon as I swatched it. 

Pumpkin Pie lip swatch. I know my lips are asymmetrical and I hate them!

When I first swatched Pumpkin Pie I thought it would look great with an eye look using the Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance palette so I had a go at some "fall inspired makeup".

Don't worry, my brows have been reshaped now!!
Once again, no issues with application (this is the same for all of the colours to be honest, they apply like a dream). This is one of the unscented shades. I know a lot of people don't like the unscented liquid lipsticks, but personally, anything that doesn't smell like vanilla is good with me!

Pumpkin Pie wore nicely, although it did start to wear away on the insides of my lips after eating. These lipsticks layer without any issue though, so a quick touch up and you're good to go.

Today I wore Sagittarius. Very close in colour to Deceased, as you can see in the arm swatch, Sagittarius is a pretty nude mauve. Deceased is more grey toned, and pulls quite brown on me (although I didn't get a lip swatch, sorry!) so they do look quite different when they're applied on the lips.

Sagittarius

This is a pretty wearable, every day shade in my opinion. It's just purple enough to stand out from the crowd, but still pretty nude. I paired it with an eye look from the Kat Von D Metal Matte palette today, but this colour would go with most looks.


I applied this lipstick at 2pm and ate a pretty greasy meal (home made chips, I promise I'll join a gym in the new year) and it didn't even wear away on the insides. It's now just after midnight and I still have most of the colour on my top lip and probably about half on the bottom lip. I am incredibly impressed with the staying power of this one!


I haven't had chance to road test the other colours yet, but I can do a part two if you'd like. So far, I am really impressed with this collection. After the summer collection didn't receive the best reviews, I really feel like Jeffree has taken people's concerns and criticism into account and made a good quality collection with a variety of wearable shades. If you can get your hands on this collection, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment