Followers

Friday 9 December 2016

Review - Lime Crime Diamond Crushers


Before I start this review, I think I should give you some background on my experiences and thoughts about Lime Crime.

I first discovered Lime Crime in 2009, when my friend sent me a text telling me I should go and check them out. I was immediately sucked in by the whole unicorn aesthetic and purchased every lipstick that was in stock, around 6 loose eye shadows and the eye primer (best primer I have ever used, if anyone knows where I can get something as good please get in touch with me). The products were mostly OK, with a couple of exceptions (New Yolk City anyone?) but hey, they came in holographic unicorn packaging so I didn't care and continued to buy anything and everything that Lime Crime ever put out. I did start to notice at some point that the lipsticks began to turn up looking nothing like the official swatches, the primer changed formula, the glosses were extremely sticky and stained my lips, and the eyeliner brushes splayed after two or three uses. I became disheartened and stopped buying from them. Then came all the drama surrounding this company and its owner. I was put off buying from them, and I didn't buy from Lime Crime in about five years.

This year, Lime Crime released their infamous Superfoils. After seeing Lisa Eldridge rave about them, I decided to give them a try. I really look up to Lisa as a makeup artist and truly trust her opinion. Mine turned up with strange black spots around the outside, no discernible "foiled" finish and the pink (Flamingo) stained my skin. Two days later, the news broke that people were finding mould in these Superfoils and they were to be discontinued. Great.

On to the review!


Lime Crime's latest release is the Diamond Crushers, 6 glittery "lip toppers" in a variety of shades, but all packed with sparkle. The Lime Crime website states that they can be used as a lip topper or highlighter. I have heard stories of people having reactions, and the Diamond Crushers having an unpleasant scent, so this release passed me by without raising much interest. That was, until I saw Alyssa Marie use them in several looks on her Instagram page. Alyssa is another of my favourite makeup artists, and she created some absolutely stunning looks using the Diamond Crushers. My head said no, but my sparkly makeup loving heart said yes!

The Diamond Crushers retail for $18 each on the Lime Crime website, or £13.95 on www.love-makeup.co.uk, Lime Crime also do a bundle, all 6 for $80.

My review is on the shade Choke, here is an arm swatch:


Super glittery and iridescent, this formula goes on pretty evenly and dries completely in less than 30 seconds. Really pretty, even on my see through skin! 


One thing I was really surprised by was the size of the tube. Lime Crime are known for their Velvetines being particularly small, and at $20 for 2.6g of product, they work out as one of the more expensive liquid lipsticks on the market. The Diamond Crushers are larger and less expensive, which is always nice!

I tried this lip topper on my lips (of course), inner corners of my eyes and my cheekbones. I have to say that I absolutely adore this product! The shine it gives off is absolutely amazing, it works wonderfully if you want to go for that "blinding glow" Instagram style highlight, is my favourite inner corner highlighter and it transforms your lipstick from day to night so quickly. The formula dries down beautifully, does not feel gritty on your lips/face and is pretty long lasting (although it did wear off my inner lips when I ate).

Diamond Crusher in Choke on top of Jeffree Star Cosmetics Sagittarius
The product has a very artificial strawberry scent to it. I actually prefer this to when brands pump their products full of that nasty artificial vanilla scent, but I can see how people would not enjoy the scent. The strawberry scent did go away once the product had dried down though.

All in all, this is a very impressive product from a brand that I was incredibly disappointed with for a long time. I will happily recommend these Diamond Crushers to friends and will be purchasing the bundle in the new year for my pro kit.


No comments:

Post a Comment