Followers

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Review - Kat Von D Pastel Goth Palette



I don't think anyone will ever understand how happy my heart was when I first saw this palette! The promo pictures showed the eyeshadow pans as being really bright colours, and prompted one YouTuber to ask "honestly, where's the pastels?" In truth, although the colours do look fairly vibrant in the pans (although perhaps not as much as in the promo images), on the skin they absolutely do translate as pastel shades.

The palette is smaller than the palettes we are usually used to seeing from Kat. In comparison to the Shade and Light, Chrysalis and Innerstellar palettes, for example, this palette has 8 shades rather than the usual 12.

The Pastel Goth palette is currently a Sephora exclusive, retailing at $38. If you are in the UK, you can order from Sephora or wait until the spring, when Debenhams will be stocking it. I have no patience whatsoever so I went for the first option.

The 8 shades in this palette are Star (sunshine yellow), Clementine (peach), Meow (pinky lilac), Dope (cool toned purple), Doom (bright blue, probably the most vibrant in the palette), Gloom (cool toned green), Dagger (grey) and Skull (white).

I really love all of these colours, but Dagger is a bit out of place for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice matte grey shadow as much as the next person, but I can't see me using it in conjunction with the rest of the shades in this palette.



Brush swatches over primer on NW10 skin


The palette comes in a matching box, complete with Kat's artwork on the front.  I know her packaging is a huge selling point for a lot of people. I'm not generally a fan, but I do like the colours on this one, it's very pretty and definitely screams Pastel Goth!


I think my favourite thing about the packaging is that the palette has the names underneath the shadows rather than just on the bottom, making them much easier to refer to by name!


I also like that this palette doesn't kick up anywhere near as much shadow as Kat's palettes usually do. Yes, they are still a little dusty but that is due to the amount of pigment, and although there is some kick up, I haven't experienced any fallout when applying to my eyes, which happens with every other palette of hers I have tried.

The colours blend easily and they last a really good amount of time on the eyes (I always use a primer, I haven't tested them without) without fading. I think this palette is a pretty versatile one, there are tons of different looks you can get from it and a great way to introduce yourself to colour if you are a bit scared of it and prefer your neutrals!

I've done a couple of looks with this palette so far and I think my favourite shade definitely has to be Clementine! It's so pretty and summery. Although at the rate I've been using it, I don't know if there will be any left by the summer.


I'm really enjoying this palette and I will definitely be picking up a backup when it comes to Debenhams in the Spring. I can't wait to play around more with it and see what other looks I can come up with!





No comments:

Post a Comment